Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A very belated tribute to the master of fantasy art


Hi everyone.

The sketch I'm posting now started out as my sketch for last Friday, but I didn't get much done on it, and I didn't get around to finishing it up that night nor over the weekend.

So I decided to do some more work on it yesterday, and while I got something I was OK with posting, I completely lost track of time and didn't get it online. Go me.

So here's my belated Friday/Monday sketch. My very small tribute to one of my favorite artists of all time. Frank Frazetta.

If you didn't already know he passed away last week. And I really felt that I should remember him, not just by looking at his artwork (which is amazing, and helped to define the sword & sorcery genre) but to also do a sketch inspired by his work.

I remember when I discovered his artwork. And walking down to the local comic book store after school and buying packs of Frazetta Trading Cards. Usually 2 packs at a time. And looking back at that time, I realized how often the owner 'bent rules' for me as he sold me the cards even though they were urged to sell them to 'mature collectors' as some of Frank's paintings have nudity. Kinda gives you an idea of how much money I poured into that local business. And man, do I appreciate it.

Anyway, this was sort of inspired by his queen of mars paintings and sketches.

And I think the rest of my sketches for the week will also be Frazetta inspired sketches.

So tune in again later. Hope to have another sketch up today/tonight. So hope you all dig this sketch and I'll see you back here again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment