Monday, September 27, 2010

A rough Monday sketch

Hi again folks. It's time for a Monday installment of ninjaboy's sketch-a-day.

That being said, it was kind of a rough sketching day for me. Probably because of the long break I took from the blog. Or maybe it was just one of those days.
Either way, lets just say that things didn't come together at all the way I wanted.


I went through about 5 or 6 figure outlines before I just decided to work on one to get a post done. And midway through it I decided to just focus on the head and face, then throw in some tones.

For me it was akin to practicing kata. At times, you just end up getting stuck on even the most basic of movements, and you can keep doing them wrong over and over again and get frustrated, or you can move on to something else. Maybe even a different kata all together, but one that uses the same movements. When I was learning katas I found that sometimes just switching to another kata helped me to understand some movements that were giving me troubles in previous katas.

At the time, I figured this was because the earlier versions of the kata were distilled from these advanced versions. Which isn't all together incorrect (depending on the kata you are talking about). But more to the point it was giving my mind a break from doing an action one way, and having me look and perform it from a slightly different 'perspective'.

Which is what ended up happening here. I worked until I was ready to quit, then I changed the background color, flipped the image and worked a little more.

As you have probably noticed, the sketch is of Bayonetta. And I've been wanting to do a sketch of her since I downloaded the demo on my PS3 last week. I have to say it's a rather fun game. Which isn't really that big of a surprise coming from a male geek who enjoys over the top action games.
I'll probably pick up the full game sometime down the road. Till then I'll just keep enjoying the demo.

Have a great evening everyone and I'll see you back here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment