Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Skirmish in the Snow

Good evening out there in internet land.

I told you I would be back later this evening with a new sketch.

Today's sketch is inspired by the awesome looking HBO mini-series in development right now based on the George R R Martin book, A Game of Thrones.

Honestly, I wasn't aware of this book series, or the HBO mini-series before today. But the morning stand-up meeting with my dev team ended with a very excited conversation about the show and then the books when I let everyone know that I hadn't the faintest idea what they were talking about.
Needless to say, the conversation had me go to the HBO website while I was burning a new build and I was instantly anxious to see the show. It looks awesome.

And I'm hoping to get around to reading the books sometime in the near future as well. I actually have had two or three coworkers all volunteer their copies of the book for me to read. But if I do get it, I'll probably end up getting it through the Amazon Kindle app for my iPhone (since iBooks doesn't seem to have any of George R R Martin's work yet.
Which is too bad, because I like that interface better than the Kindle app's. Oh well.


Anyway, after watching the many videos on the show's website and blog, and considering the amount of environment art I've been seeing from peers online, I decided to do another sketch with an actual background.

The result of which you see here. An exchange of words between these two men resulted in a clashing of steel, that ultimately ended in death.
I hope you all dig the sketch. I had fun doing it, even though I'm still having a hard time getting pixels to behave like paints that I'm familiar with using. But you know what they say... practice makes perfect.

Go watch the videos for Game of Thrones if you haven't already. And have a great evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment