Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Jesse and Tulip


Welcome back everyone.

Today's piece is a fan sketch of the two main characters from Vertigo's book Preacher.

It's been quite some time since I've read the entire story (probably since '98 or '99) but I have read the first two trades within the last 2 years. And one of my coworkers brought in the first issue today. It made me miss the book. This was one of those series that really shook up my comic book reading. Preacher is a kick in the 'junk', and while you're down it buys you a new house.
Garth Ennis planted an elbow in between my eyes and I still haven't recovered from the blow. It was such a visceral experience, following Jesse on his quest to find god (literally, not figuratively) and he did some things that really made me mad. And laugh. Hard. And cheer. And groan.
It was everything a graphic novel experience should be.
I really feel like Preacher set the bar for all of his future work, and everything I've read since then has really been a continuation of what he accomplished with this book. Only more over the top.

Anyway, I felt like I had to do a sketch of Jesse and Tulip. So I hope you all enjoy it.

See ya back here tomorrow for more sketchy fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment