Monday, November 9, 2009

Percy Jackson. Or, Why You Should Listen to Your Mother


Hi everyone. Here's something that you might find surprising. An actual update. With a sketch. I know, I know. Some of you are probably thinking that hell might be making snow cones. Or that right now a flight inbound to your local airport is receiving their final approach update from a voice that sounds oddly like a pig.

But yes. I bring to you a sketch. I've been listening to the audio book for The Lightning Thief. I am surprised that the book is pretty darn entertaining. I wasn't expecting much, not because it's a book written for kids. I enjoy reading children's novels. However, I have not been impressed by a lot of them recently. I loved the Lemony Snicket books. I thought they were clever, and while being very dark, they weren't too overly scary for children. Too bad the people making the movie didn't get the same idea.
But I do love greek mythology, and I also enjoyed the fact that Percy isn't a kid who's been beat down, despite him being good and honest. Percy's a troubled kid. In a way he reminds me of a 12 year old Kaneda from Otomo's Akira. The rogue who becomes the unlikely hero.

But anyway, I also really got into the book as while I've been driving around listening to it, it's been raining as well. So I really felt like I was experiencing the portion of the book where the Minotaur is encountered for the first time. As a result, I decided that I'd sketch Percy after that encounter.

It was done in CS3 on my MacBook using my trusty Bamboo tablet. I hope ya digs. See you back here tomorrow. I plan on doing another Valiant comic character tomorrow. But you'll have to tune in to see who it will be.

Good night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment