Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Solar reaction in the sky


Hi everyone. Hope you all had a good Thursday.

I can't really complain. My day was better than it was yesterday. I managed to spend a little bit of time making a little more refined Solar, Man of the Atom sketch.

I wanted to add his 'power glow' around his hands. But I was afraid that if I started trying to do it I would end up making a huge mess and get really frustrated. I'll give it a try some other time.

Which is funny because the valiant style of power that Solar often had glowing from his hands was visually so different than what I was used to seeing in Marvel/DC and I believe Image comics at that time. It was one of the elements that drew me to my first experience of Valiant comics... The Unity trading card set.
My best friend and I bought them whenever we found them. And between the two of us we had them all. The characters were so different. I had to find the comics to read as they were intended. And oddly enough, I never did get any of the Unity books. But my brother and I really got into XO Manowar, Magnus and Solar.

And I owe it all to that first glimpse of an art style that I had never seen before. But was the dose of alternative comics that I was really needing.

Anyway, it's mega cheesy. Has tons of anatomy problems. And really isn't the best thing I've drawn in a while. But hey, it reminds me of those old comics. So I like it. Hope you do too. Have a great evening and I'll see you back here for Friday's sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment