Thursday, October 22, 2009

Bod and Silas


Good evening everyone. Here is that sketch I promised yesterday. I managed to get some rough pencils over my layout sketches earlier today, and I'm fairly happy with how it came out. I am reading through The Graveyard Book again and I must say, Neil is one heck of a storyteller.
People often tend to label him as a writer, or a novelist. And while those are both very true descriptions of what he does for a living, but the truth of the matter is that he is a storyteller. His books never read like a typical novel. They have a life of their own, and the narration is as fluid and easy going as someone reading it to you when you're tucked into bed. Or sitting by a camp fire. Or in the dark with a flashlight. Or just with someone that you can listen to for hours.

Even though I bought the book in hardcover when it first came out, I'm really tempted to purchase the audio book as well since he is reading it himself. If you haven't had the chance to listen to him read his own stories aloud, you are missing out on something fantastic. I could listen to him read an entry on wikipedia (so long as he wrote the original posting that is, otherwise it would seriously lack his humor and subtleties).

At any rate, this is a sketch of his young character Bod and his guardian Silas. I hope you all like it and I'll get another posting up tomorrow. I double dog promise. Whatever that means.

Good night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment