Monday, October 12, 2009

It may be late, but it's still Monday



Hi everyone. Hope you all had a great Monday.

I didn't get a chance to do my daily sketch during lunch today, and I forgot to bring home my Bamboo tablet, so tonight's sketch(es) are done the traditional way. Pencil on paper. In this case, cover stock.
And it really makes me realize that I have to do more traditional sketching. So much so that I may make this week, pencil on paper week to hone my chops again.

I was spending the evening watching Bizzare World and No Reservations, looking in an old sketchbook and remembering some really good ideas (that I plan on revisiting on this blog) and looking at the late, great Mike Wieringo's deviantart page with a sheaf of paper on my lap and a few pencils in hand. And you know what? I had a great time. It took me back to when I graduated from the Art Institute.

Anyway, Wieringo inspired the first sketch. It is of a 'space girl' venturing out onto another strange, alien landscape. What will she find? Who will she encounter?

And the next page of sketches actually is me recreating a page from an old sketchbook. A grizzled, sailor/dockworker and the younger version of a character that I created back in 20001. I wanted to do a story of a young boy who becomes adopted by a famous martial arts instructor, who also happens to be a ninja to a Daimyo. Something bad happens, and the boy is forced to grow up very quickly, then we flash forward quite a few years and we encounter him as a grown man and a notorious ninja himself.
This sketch is of him training as a boy, under the strict (and often times humorous) watch of his sensei.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Hope you all enjoy the sketches and I'll see you again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment