Thursday, July 29, 2010

Another piece inspired by a game I normally don't like

Good evening everyone. Time for me to do my real Thursday update.

The sketch I present to you this evening is another one based on the game Starcraft. The first one, not the new one that just came out.

As I said before, I wasn't really a fan of the RTS genre of video games. Never did I enjoy playing Warcraft(s). Though I did find clicking on the sheep rather amusing.
And likewise, I didn't enjoy playing Civilization, Starcraft or any other RTS styled game.

However, after watching the completely stunning trailers for Starcraft II recently, I decided to procure a copy of the original Starcraft and try my hand at it one more time. The cinematics didn't hold up as well visually, but the direction really shows that Blizzard has always had a talent for movies.

I'm not having such an aversion to the gameplay styling as I used to when I was younger. Though I'm still only in the tutorials so it's pretty quick gameplay right now. But I assume that once I start getting into the longer campaigns that I'll quickly be reminded that I hate having to wait for my game to play it. Another reason I'm not a fan of non-linear/sandbox games. I'd rather just play the game. Enjoy the story and get to the end. I play games for the same reason I watch movies. Entertainment. And when I'm just sitting around, or am unable to get to the next part because the next section just isn't available to me I get bored very quickly and turn the game off.


Anyway, I'm getting way off topic. Today's sketch was done in about 25 minutes in CS3 using my Bamboo tablet. And portrays a lone Terran Infantry Unit, cautiously trying to regroup with his unit. Will he survive? I'll let you decide that.

Anyway, I'll see you all back here tomorrow for my final sketch of the week. I'll try not to make it another Street Fighter or The Ninja sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment