Friday, July 16, 2010

One more Street Fighter and Naihanchi sketch


Good evening everyone.

As promised, here is my Friday sketch. Thanks to iTunes, I downloaded a number of free anime episodes today, including the first episode of the Street Fighter 2 V series.
I had this on VHS years ago when i was going to the Art Institute. One day I will finish watching the series, but the first 5 episodes were pretty decent. Nowhere near as awesome as Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie, but hey they can't all be animated action gold.

Anyway, the opening credits for this show has a very brief segment of a very young Ken and Ryu sparing. Ken comes in with a seiken zuki (straight punch) and Ryu blocks it with a soto ude uke (outside forearm block). It's very brief, but the scene has always stuck with me. And I would love to see a series, or manga of when Ken and Ryu were training together.

Anyway, I decided to do a sketch of Ryu practicing a kata (considering that I did a sketch of Ken yesterday, I wanted to balance things out a bit) and that kata ended up being Naihanchi Shodan again. Weird. Though, it is becoming one of my favorite katas. There's a lot going on in there.

Anyway, when all is said and done it probably took me about 35 minutes to sketch in CS3 with my Bamboo tablet. Hope you all enjoy it.

Have a great weekend and I'll see you back here on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment