Saturday, July 11, 2009

Trouble concentrating



Hi everyone. This is starting to become a habit that I'm none too proud of. Friday's post being delayed until Saturday morning. On the plus side, I'm getting my updates here on the blog. The negative side of that coin is that I'm missing my (self imposed) deadlines, which is not something I like to do.

Friday was another super busy day at work, and as such I didn't really have time to do much sketching. And when I did, I was unable to focus on anything in particular. The first sketch started out as a kenjutsu practitioner, and ended up looking like a Jedi. Or perhaps a Sith. I'm not sure. I'll probably come back to finish this one next week.

Oooh, speaking of kenjutsu... A quick sideline before I talk about the next unfinished sketch. I was doing a google image search for the kenjutsu sword stance chudan no kamae on my iPhone, looking for some more reference material. As I skimmed over the thumbnails I found that my sketch from the posting Chudan no Kamae was displayed on the first page! How awesome is that?

Anyway, moving on. The second sketch is that of a noir detective, who's nearing the end of his particular story. Or at least, that's the way I envision it when it's closer to being finished. I've always had a thing for Noir detectives and their stories. Ever since I was a kid and reading Calvin and Hobbes, Watterson's detective alter ego for Calvin struck me as dynamic, vivid and intellectual. Then years later I picked up my first issue of Sin City (A Dame to Kill For, issue number 2 in case you were currious) and immediately fell in love. It was the same artistic style, and overall vibe from those old Calvin and Hobbes comics. Except, a lot more adult. I've been a Frank Miller/Sin City fan ever since.

Hope you all enjoy these (rough) sketches and I'll see you back here next week. Perhaps we'll finish up one, or both, of these sketches together. Have a great weekend.

Go Mir!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment